Tuesday, September 25, 2012

Thank You, Amy Dacyczyn


   


    The Complete Tightwad Gazette was the one and only item I'd placed on my Christmas wish list, five years ago, and was purchased (quite fittingly, I thought) by my nine-year old niece, my Secret Santa, for under $7, used, on e-bay.
    After all the gifts had been opened, and everyone was milling about, eating, and playing, I found the comfiest chair in the house and, surrounded by nieces, nephews, hubby, and in-laws, proceeded to pore over each page of your book, highlighters in hand.
    In the years since, I have read and re-read all 927 pages, and have recommended it to anyone who's even hinted at wanting to save money or wishing things weren't so expensive (which is to say, just about everyone).  My husband jokes (and is well aware) that it's the only book I'd take with me on a deserted island, if forced to make the decision, and I have waxed poetic, on more than one occasion, about the wisdom contained in its pages. 
     The Tightwad Gazette came into my life at a time when I desperately needed it, and when I knew there had to be more options to saving money than simply buying things on sale.  With my limited income and a husband in graduate school, we needed other ways to live within a tight budget without feeling pinched.  I had been frugal, but without the creativity to back it up, felt increasingly deprived.  Though my husband had grown up in relative poverty, he had mentioned, only weeks before, "This is the first time in my life that I've really felt poor." 
     Reading your book gave me hope that there was another way to live, and that it was not only possible (but infinitely more likely) that if I adopted certain habits, my life and finances would change for the better.  
     I am very happy to say that that has been the case, and that in the last five years, we have gone from feeling deprived to feeling an unbelievable freedom.  Craig and I (and now Emma, age 3) have the wherewithal to do what we love, to spend time together, and to live into our values--all while spending considerably less than the national average.  
     I will be forever grateful to you, to your family, and to the Tightwad staff for sharing your experience and suggestions, and for making this information available to the masses.
     Thank you, again, and bless you.





   













No comments:

Post a Comment